|Fishing Boats at Bunder|
Sea food is common and highly available in all non-vegetarian restaurants in the region. Sardine(Boothai), Bangude(Mackerel), Kane(Ladyfish), Kappe Bondas(Cuttlefish), Anjal(Seer fish), Manji(Pomfret), Bolenjir(Silver fish), Mugudu(Catfish) and Thede(Big Catfish), Paiya(Silver Biddy), Koddai(Croaker fish), Mala(Mullet), Kurchi(Pony fish), Madimal(Pink Perch), Nang(Sole fish), Prawns, Crabs etc. are some of the popular fish variety available in the market. Mangalore has developed as one of the fishing towns along west coast and it has been maintained to this day, with the local consumption of fish increasing day by day.
Karnataka Purse Seine Fishermen's Association and Trawl Boat Fishermen's Association are the associations linked with fishing and the fishermen in the region.
The fishing industry employs large no. of people, and their products like fish oil, fish soluble, fish meal, steam dried fish meal, flame dried fish meal, tiny shrimps meal, Sardine fish oil, refined fish oil, crude fish oil, marine foods, shrimps, squid, fishes and frozen foods are exported from around the region. Sardines and Mackerels are the main raw materials used for the manufacturing fish oil and fishmeal. Excellent quality fish with high oil content makes these species a perfect one for the purpose. Bunder, the old Mangalore port is now mostly used for fishing activities. Dhakke is the place in old port where fish is sold in wholesale. The local boat building and fishing industry has turnovers in crores of rupees. Not only in Mangaluru, but Malpe in Udupi district and Karwar in Uttara Kannada too are very active in fishing.
Dean (Fisheries), College of Fisheries at Kankanady, Mangalore was established in 1969. It is a leading fisheries education and research institute in Dakshina Kannada. It comes under the University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore. It is part of the recently established Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University of Bidar. The College offers degree education - B.F. Sc, M. F. Sc and Ph. D in Fisheries Sciences. Both M. F. Sc. and Ph. D programs have developed more branches such as Aquaculture, Fish Processing Technology, Fishery Microbiology, Fisheries Resources and Management, Fisheries Environment and Ecology.
The Technology Wing of Fisheries College is at Hoige Bazar, Pandeshwar at the end point of the river Netravathi which is nearer to Arabian Sea. Fish Processing technology and Fisheries Engineering department exist in the wing.
The degree from College of Fisheries at Mangalore is enough to make it big in the multifarious $100 billion global fishing industry which is growing at 8 percent annually. Not only in the 3 major areas of fishing such as the marine, inland and brackish, the freshers have good opportunities in banks too, as the fisheries officers and get a chance to work with processing, export and aqua-farming industries.
Fisheries College Contact Tel: +91 824 2248936, 2249256/57/58/59.
To taste the seafood and local dishes such as Kane rava fry, Anjal masala fry and Manji masala fry, visit the hotels in the locality.
- Coconut Grove, Kumar's International, Bendoor Main Road, Mlr-2. Tel: +91 824 2225871. It is the top hotel in the city for seafood.
- Amantran Restaurant, N G Road, Attavar, Mlr-1. It is near the Income Tax Office. Tel: +91 824 2421208. Mobile: 95914 89389. It is another good hotel for fish eating.
- Maharaja Multi-Cuisine Restaurant, 14-1-81-20, Trade Centre, 1st Floor, Near Jyothi Theater, Balmatta, Mlr-1. Tel: +91 824 2441726
- Gajalee Circuit House Compound, Kadri Hills, Mlr-4. Tel.: +91 824 2221900, 2222900.
- Palkhi fine dine restaurant, 3rd floor, Tej towers, Near KMC, Jyothi Circle, Balmatta road, Mlr-1. Mobile: 98800 23413 Tel: +91 824 2444929, 2441553
- Narayana Hotel, Old port Road, Azizuddin Road, Bunder, Mlr-1. Tel: +91 824 2440891. Mobile No. 94482 55025. It is very famous for the tasty Mangalore style fish fry, fish curry and rice.
- Kings Court, near highway, Kottara Chowki, Mlr- 6.
- Madhuvan Village, 2-63/1, Bajpe Airport Road, Yeyyadi, Mlr-8. Tel: +91 824 2214158, 2494038.
- Anupama restaurant cum bar, Abhiman Residency, near Bunts hostel circle, Kadri road, Mlr-3. Tel: +91 824 2443449
- Goldfinch hotel, Bunts Hostel Road, Near Jyothi Circle, Mlr-3. Tel: +91 824 4245678.
- Giri Manja’s hotel, Near Kalikamba Temple, Gopalkrishna Temple Road, Mlr -1. Owner name is Manjunath Pai. Tastiest food and famous for fish fry. It is located very near to the lower Car Street. Tel: 99000 00080.
- Machali, Behind Ocean Pearl, Sharada Vidyalaya Road, Mlr-3. Tel: +91 824 2496605
- Fish Wish, Food Court, 4th floor, City Centre Mall, K S Rao Road, Mlr-1.
- Meenu Ootada Mane, Opp. P.V.S. Kalakunja Hall, Kodialbail, Mlr-3. Mobile: 99861 86565, 99161 16107
- Bappamas, behind City Point Bldg, Kodialbail, Mlr-3. Mobile: 86939 55374, 97404 37966, 98867 96747
- Mamamaas, Opp. Mangalore City Corporation Building, M.G. Road, Lalbagh, Mlr-3. Mobile: 98867 96747, 97404 37966
- Auchan, Hypermarket, 6th floor, City Centre mall, K S Rao Road, Mlr-1.
- Fish Mongers, K M C Mercara Trunk Road, Kadri, Mlr-2, Tel: +91 824 2222456.
- Fish Mongers, Sarva Mangala Building, Opp. Valencia Park, Valencia Circle, Mlr-2. Tel: +91 824 2222456.
- The Karnataka Fisheries Development Corporation's (KFDC) outlet, Krishna Towers, Chilimbi, Mlr-6. Tel: +91 824 3258299.
Mangalore has some of the best boat building facilities and provides marine related services in the region like the Mahasagar boat builders. The boats are built in wood, steel or and fibre glass as per requirement. Work boats, utility boats, Bristol pilot cutter, dhows, fibreglass canoes, stitched canoes, launch, supply or tug boats, Twin-Screw Wooden Hull Tugs, FRP Kattumarans, wooden outrigger trawlers, motor sail boats, sail ships, house boats, speed boats, boats in steel, and njord.
Address: Mahasagar boats, 1A Sturrock apartments, Sturrock road, Mlr-1, India.
Tel: +91 824 2429375.